Randy's 50th birthday travel adventures

In January and February 2011 I had the fabulous opportunity to travel through Northern India and Nepal. The photos and stories in this blog document my adventures and experiences; what I saw and what I learned. My travel started in Delhi, India and then led me to the spiritual town of Rishikesh, India for a week long stay at a yoga ashram - Rishikesh Yog Peeth. After that I traveled to Khajuraho, India to view the ancient Hindu erotic temples, tour a local farming town, and spend the day at a small Indian village. Next I traveled to the holy Hindu city of Varanasi where life revolves in and around the holy Ganges River. I spent a day visiting the town of Sarnath where Buddha offered his first teachings, and which served as a pre-cursor for my trip to Nepal and the Kopan Monastery to study meditation and Buddhism. After Varanasi, I flew to Kathmandu and spent a couple of days walking the streets of the city before venturing about a half-hour above the city to the Kopan Monastery for a week-long retreat to study meditation and Buddhism. Afterward I went back to Delhi and took a day trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.

Rishikesh - Life on the Holy Ganges River

        Rishikesh is one of the Hindu's most religious cities. The town is quite and peaceful and filled with ashrams and Hindu pilgrims. There are Hindu temples everywhere. Each evening a religious ceremony called an Aarti is held on the banks of the Ganges River. The town has recently become the yoga center of the universe and ashrams offering yoga courses and classes are everywhere. Rishikesh has a nice slow pace with less traffic and congestion. although the streets are crowded with holy cows and of course - holy shit!