Randy's 50th birthday travel adventures

In January and February 2011 I had the fabulous opportunity to travel through Northern India and Nepal. The photos and stories in this blog document my adventures and experiences; what I saw and what I learned. My travel started in Delhi, India and then led me to the spiritual town of Rishikesh, India for a week long stay at a yoga ashram - Rishikesh Yog Peeth. After that I traveled to Khajuraho, India to view the ancient Hindu erotic temples, tour a local farming town, and spend the day at a small Indian village. Next I traveled to the holy Hindu city of Varanasi where life revolves in and around the holy Ganges River. I spent a day visiting the town of Sarnath where Buddha offered his first teachings, and which served as a pre-cursor for my trip to Nepal and the Kopan Monastery to study meditation and Buddhism. After Varanasi, I flew to Kathmandu and spent a couple of days walking the streets of the city before venturing about a half-hour above the city to the Kopan Monastery for a week-long retreat to study meditation and Buddhism. Afterward I went back to Delhi and took a day trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.

Diary from Rishikesh

     Rishikesh is a warm and peaceful town. The ashram is just on the outskirts of town, somewhat removed the the slight chaos of the markets at the center of town. The ashram is located in a small neighborhood and it's pleasant to see the neighbors going about their daily routine which includes lots of family time and relaxation. Initially I didn't recognize any particular spirituality emanating from Rishikesh - the yoga classes have been great; the food is fresh and cooked to order; the ashram is quiet and relaxing. However, the spirit has begun to unfold as I slowly unwind and begin meeting with talking with people living their lives in Rishikesh. The spirit and spirituality of the town is evident in the simple manner in which people live their lives and interact with others. People in town are quick to invite you into their shops and stores and talk with you or offer a cup of chai and talk some more. A lot of people come to Rishikesh seeking something. What I have found is that it's not about the search, but rather about what you can find by being more open to the possibilities that are available in the universe - even in this small universe of Rishikesh, India. So the question is what am I searching for? Adventure - yes; new experiences, sights, and sounds - yes; Indian cultural and religious knowledge - yes; and the true search is to reconnect with my sense of spirit and spirituality. A spirit of purpose or a purposeful spirit? The challenge now is to avoid the distractions (like looking around for gifts to buy for myself and others) and to focus inward and on myself. There doesn't seem to be a better place in the universe right now to start that quest than in Rishikesh.